Kat looked up at the familiar voice, her face tear streaked.  She was glad
he wasn't dead, she thought he was.  She looked around not knowing who he
was talking about.  Shaking her head she spoke, "I-i-it's not a he, it
w-w-w-wa-s, Julia.  I don't know where s-s-she went."


Derek shook his head, only to stop and touch where he had been struck and
knew moving like that was a very bad idea at the moment.  Then he focused on
what Kat had said... Julia?

"It - it couldn't have been, Kat.. I was talking to her on the phone
when..." he moaned a little and tried to sit up, only to bump up against the
field that surrounded them and touch it tentively.  Strong and unyielding.

Then he looked at Kat and cleared his voice "Kat.. remember what I told
you.. about looking inside yourself, Feeling de tr'th."

His accent was thicker than usual and he was sure he had suffered a
concussion from the demon's blow, but Kat couldn't let the demon have power
over her - and that was exactly what it was doing; using the girl's earlier
fears about Julia against her.

He grimaced as a wave of nausea hit and squeezed his eyes closed, fighting
it.

"Julia.. would never.. hurt - us..."  was all he managed as the wave of
dizziness that quickly followed hit him, swallowing him into the blackness
of unconsciousness.

Reply via email to