Matthias Kilian wrote:

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 08:13:25PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
Auto-detecting piles of shit without any user control, or with very poor
user control, like GNU configure allows, is a receipe for disaster.
It does NOT help the user, contrarily to what you might think.

See also:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/03/31/packaging.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/04/28/packaging2.html

Not perfect, but it mentions a lot of common (avoidable) problems.

Please, I NEVER said I like configure, I don't like configure, and I dont like being represented as liking configure, not most of gnu. My sole thesis was that the ports system should allow a user to be able to make certain overrides in some of the software (like install one of their own libraries), and allow that user to take maintenance responsibility for those decisions. I never said I like any of the gnu stuff.

As a matter of fact, I'm one of those few folks who like Makefiles.

Ciao,
        Kili