* Christian Weisgerber [2006-07-20]:
> We need some sort of policy how to deal with software written in Java.
> We have a number of ports that are basically just wrappers that
> install pre-compiled Java byte code.  Additional ports in this style
> have been proposed.  Actual Java source may or may not be available,
> but it is certainly not used by the ports in question.

We have a somewhat similar situation with ports based on ruby gems.
There it is simply not feasible to do otherwise or at least I haven't
figured out how to build from the source archives.

Wrt Java, there's the problem, that the Java source code is not readily
available, thus we would need manual intervention to build source based
packages. I say, do what the user community is used to. If they prefer
distributing source code, great. If they prefer distributing byte code,
oh well.

Nikolay