On 2022/04/20 16:11, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Here is an update for net/rsync 3.2.4 based on tj@'s diff which does the
> following:
> - move to system zlib instead of bundled zlib

There was a reason for using the bundled zlib, but I think that the way
compression negotiation now works, it should be fairly ok to do this.

(As a cvs repo mirror operator I still want it to build with zstd
support enabled though! :-)

> - remove compat.c patch. reproducer from sthen@ no longer triggers a
>   crash. https://github.com/WayneD/rsync/issues/84

yes, upstream fixed this.

> I added LOCALSTATEDIR and SYSCONFDIR throughout rsync(1) and
> rsyncd.conf(5) whenever they relate specfically to the rsync port. I
> left bits like /etc/passwd /etc/inetd.conf and /var/ftp/./pub alone. The
> patches become rather bloated.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Are SYSCONFDIR and friends obsolete? Should they be removed
> altogether to trim patches?

I would drop those bits of the patches (obviously either keep /usr/bin ->
${PREFIX}/bin or change to /usr/local/bin).

> 2. rrsync script switches from perl to python. I propose not bothering to
> add python in RUN_DEPENDS for this optional functionality.

Agreed, the error from /usr/bin/env makes it obvious what's needed.
(If it was a plain #!/usr/local/bin/python3 the error would be less clear
and I'd probably want to split to a subpackage). We could do with a port
of py-braceexpand to support this script.

> 3. Backport to -stable? naddy@ says rsync is not affected, but upstream
> says it might be.
> from NEWS: https://download.samba.org/pub/rsync/NEWS#SECURITY_FIXES-3.2.4
> from naddy@: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=164884923114600&w=2

There are several backwards-incompatible changes in this release.
I think it is not a good candidate for a full update in -stable but it
maybe a good idea to backport the zlib fix.