On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 08:44:09AM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Well done, Windows-centric software is usually a pain to get building! Sorry
> I have found a few more things though - some easy some a bit more fiddly.
>
> Some of the -Wno-xxx might not be accepted by gcc, and the actual
> warnings(->errors) produced can vary by arch, so it's simpler (and standard
> in ports) to patch away -Werror.

Thank you.

> SEPARATE_BUILD is for "out of source tree" builds, with this the build dir
> shouldn't have source files in it (the main reason for SEPARATE_BUILD is so
> that the build dir can be cleaned without rerunning autoconf) - this port
> has source files there so it shouldn't use SEPARATE_BUILD, and
> s/WRKBUILD/WRKSRC/

Will correct, thanks!

> Installing the binary should handle stripping, the simplest way is to use
> ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} which handles it automatically (including not stripping
> when building with DEBUG) - I would move this to do-install rather than
> patching upstream's Makefile.

Will do!

> There are some complications with the different makefiles for clang and gcc.
> Not sure how best to handle that but it needs to build on ports-gcc arch's
> without using clang - I don't have a suitable arch to test (sparc64 will do
> but also need to check the build log to make sure if doesn't call clang
> which is present there but shouldn't be used in that case). It should use
> CC/CXX/CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS rather than hardcoding clang/clang++/-O2

I only have amd64/i386 archs available, so won't be able to test this either.

> The conflict isn't ideal because various other ports depend on p7zip.
> Probably best to either replace p7zip completely (changing those other ports
> to use 7zip) or rename the binaries in p7zip (use a 'p' prefix, again
> changing the other ports to cope). As a result I think this port is one for
> post-7.1.

One possiblity is to only produce the `7zz` full-feature binary.  There would
be no conflict.  I haven't tried to build it.  So far, the only Bundle's I've
tested have been `7za` which is in this port, and `7zr` the "restricted" Bundle,
which built and ran.

> (also we need some way to handle rar if it's going to replace p7zip
> completely - e.g. build 7zz from the Alone2 dir - could either use similar
> to the v6 flavour in ports/net/bird/1 which deals with a similar problem -
> or could run the build in the second dir via post-build and use
> subpackages).

A quick scan of the tree shows mail/amavisd-new is currently the only port with
a dependency on the unrar plugin.

I will have to experiment with `7zz`, which would allow both ports to co-exist.

Thank you, as always, for your insights and recommendations!