On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:54:54 -0400
Josh Grosse <j...@jggimi.net> wrote:

> Attached is a "v3" tarball with the above changes, producing a single `7zz`
> executable binary.  There is no long any conflict with p7zip.  I've tested
> this build on amd64. George may want to retest on powerpc64 to see if his
> patch to
> C/7zCrcOpt.c can be removed.

Yes, please $ rm patches/patch-C_7zCrcOpt_c

I can now build 7zz without patch-C_7zCrcOpt_c on both macppc (which
is 32-bit powerpc) and powerpc64.  Also, we can remove 7zCrcOpt.c
from FIX_CRLF_FILES.

7zz does more formats than 7za, see "7zz i".  I can extract my old
.rar file with 7zz.  Other distros (Alpine, Debian, FreeBSD) are also
building 7zz and not 7za.  (Alpine and FreeBSD also symlink 7z to 7zz;
Alpine and Debian also disable the .rar code.)

Another problem: the port sets COMPILER = base-clang ports-gcc, but
I believe that gcc can't build this port as is.  I don't have a real
gcc arch (sparc64).  I try forcing "make COMPILER=ports-gcc" on a
clang arch.  (I know that COMPILER=ports-gcc on a clang arch can go
wrong when mixing C++ code from clang and gcc.)

1st problem, cmpl_clang.mak is running clang, not gcc.  I try to
use cmpl_gcc.mak instead, this way,

MAKE_FILE_base-clang =  ../../cmpl_clang.mak
MAKE_FILE_ports-gcc =   ../../cmpl_gcc.mak
MAKE_FILE =             ${MAKE_FILE_${CHOSEN_COMPILER}}

2nd problem, gcc immediately fails with,
egcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Waddress-of-packed-member'

I have not tried to remove the option.
--George