[Well, I tried to keep this off ports@, but so be it]

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:12:56AM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> >Only one point I remember from what I've seen (in some very early
> >of your submissions): the base package contains some binaries we've
> >already in ports.
[...]
> I could omit these binaries and add existing stuff as RUN_DEPENDS? Is
> that what you mean? I know texi2html conflicts, so i told configure
> not to build it.

Right. If texlive needs it (as build or run depends), add it, and
don't build it within texlive. If texlive contains some stuff that
isn't needed by other parts of texlive (and is available in a
separate port), just ommit it.

I don't remember the complete list of conflicts, but there was more
than just texi2html. Again: just keep this problem in mind. You
don't have to care now, but you'll have to care in the future.

> >Also, I'd prefer to try to keep the old name (tetex) and treat it
> >as an update for tetex, if possible (i.e. if there're similar
> >subpackages).  Else you've to mark tetex and texlive as conflicting
> >and run into serious problems wrt ports depending on tetex.
>
> Ah. I see what your saying, but it feels wrong.
>
> It would be useful if ports could say: You need EITHER tetex OR
> texlive as a dep, but this would be so rarely used that it doesnt seem
> worth implementing. What problems will be encounter? Kpathse should be
> in the same path as teTeX. This is the main dependancy in most cases?

latex is latex for teTeX and TeXlive, right? That's the same thing
in ${LOCALBASE}/bin for both ports. No we've countless ports that
depend on teTeX, for whatever reason. If you want to keep teTeX and
TeXlive separate, (and mark them as @conflict), you've to take care
of every other port that currently depends on teTeX, and change it
so it can use either teTeX or TeXlive.

It's not impossible, see the Java ports for an example, but it
implies many changes to ensure the ports tree don't break.

> I would feel like I am lying to the user if I said it were teTeX.
> TeXLive is so much more.

It's just a name. You can still give credit/mention the big change
in COMMENTs and DESCRs. Renaming can be done later.

Ciao,
        Kili