Hi Jim,

thanks for answering.

On Sun, 18.01.2009 at 12:30:41 -0500, Jim Razmus <j...@bonetruck.org> wrote:
> Varnish is a reverse caching HTTP proxy more or less.  It allocates a
> chunk memory and then caches the output from backend web servers to
> serve future requests itself.  It's like squid, but arguably more
> efficient and scalable.

This is all known - I'm in the Plone crowd, and want to enhance our
Plone hosting with varnish.

> Varnish could be advantageous when used in conjunction with truly dynamic
> web applications.  Word Press and Plone I believe create everything
> dynamically for all requests.  They have caching plug-ins available
> though...

I can only speak about Plone. Yes, Plone has caching modules built in,
but they do different things than those that varnish can do. But Plone
can talk to varnish and tell it which pages (or other items) are out of
date, so it is generally said that varnish can provide great relief to
Plone servers, and I also subscribe to the idea that varnish is better
than squid, pound or Apache for reverse-proxying.

> Movable Type creates static html files for subsequent delivery by your
> web server.

Known... This page generation can take quite a while, too. [ we should
probably move off ports@ ] Did you look at Reed Cartwright's addons?

> The "dynamic" nature of Movable Type only comes about when
> creating a new entry/page and/or adding a comment to a page/entry at
> which time it just creates an updated html file.  Any decent web server
> should be able to choke your Internet connection serving static content
> from the file system.  So Varnish is mostly redundant redundant in this
> case.

This may be true, although I see quite an unhealthy tendency in Movable
Type to "retrofit" true dynamic posting via PHP (**YUCK**) plugins.
Combined with some other problems in MTOS4 (I have MTOS4.21 atm), I'm
almost ready to ditch it, although I'd still like to discuss MT4
hosting with you, probably offline.

--
Kind regards,
--Toni++