> - fixes the manpage (the others look fine)
> - installs /etc/varnish/default.vcl as @sample
> - adds pkg/MESSAGE that contains the link Jim mentioned, as well as a
>  mention of vcl(7)
> - changes localstatedir from /usr/local/var/varnish to /var/varnish

Compiles and runs on sparc64. Thanks for the changes!

I am not familiar with varnish and this may be correct behavior, but
varnishd dies on startup unless specifically given  `-f
/etc/varnishd/default.vcl' (uncomment at least the backend section).
So I am not sure what "default configuration built in" means, (other
then specifying it on command line).

Should make install also create /var/varnish/`hostname` directory?

I am getting the following warnings:

configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: pthread_np.h: in the future, the compiler will
take precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to varnish-...@projects.linpro.no ##
varnishd-cache_session.o(.text+0x1cc): In function `SES_RefSrcAddr':
: warning: strcpy() is almost always misused, please use strlcpy()
varnishd-cache_http.o(.text+0x41e4): In function `http_PutStatus':
: warning: sprintf() is often misused, please use snprintf()
vtc_http.o(.text+0xeb4): In function `http_splitheader':
: warning: sprintf() is often misused, please use snprintf()