Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

Most users wont read the commit log, but do will a binary package upgrade when the next release it out; can we have a post-install message or something that warns people of this?

Isn't post-install a little late? :-)

IIRC, I had this problem moving from 8.2 to 8.3 (when upgrading my server from OpenBSD 4.3 to 4.4), and that happened when I was following the upgrade guide that specifically calls out the issue in the upgrade guide (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade44.html).

Post-install isn't actually too late, since installing is not the same as running (which is where the problem is), but on a system with a decent number of packages it's hard to go through the post-install messages of EVERY upgraded package looking for problems at OS upgrade time. I dunno what a better solution is, having it in the upgrade guide seems like the best spot but obviously it's not perfect either.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker