On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Ryan Boggs<rmboggs.obsd.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM, patrick keshishian<pkesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Stuart Henderson<s...@spacehopper.org>
>> wrote:

>>> it can be a little easier this time.
>>>
>>> http://pg-migrator.projects.postgresql.org/
>>

>> I was hoping there would be an on-line documentation I could browse,
>> but nothing obvious from that URL. The IMPLEMENTATION and README in
>> the source dist are good reference points. The former ponts to the
>> following PDF presentation by Bruce Momjian (July '09)
>>
>> http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/pg_migrator.pdf
>>

>> Thanks Stuart for the pointer.
>>
>> --patrick
>>

> I downloaded the pg_migrator tar ball to check it out and according to
> the INSTALL file, it looks like both instances (ie: v8.3 and v8.4)
> need to be on the machine for pg_migrator to work.  Would this be
> possible here since the upgrade process would remove v8.3?

You are correct. For simple installations where a dump and restore
does not take much time, and hdd space is not an issue, pg_migrator
seems like overkill. It seems only useful for cases where data size is
so large that a dump/restore would take a very long time (read:
considerable downtime).

It could be possible to work the PostgreSQL port in such a way that it
allows multiple versions to be installed at one time. As for, whether
or not this effort be worth it? I can't say ....

--patrick