On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:21:01AM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (potentially interested parties in CC.)
>
> Since the last snapshot containing mplayer-20100308 I have noticed:
>
> a) DVD's don't play on my thinkpad using the external CD drive. I am not sure
> if
> this ever worked - its the first time.
>
> I notice this in dmesg at this time:
> cd0(umass0:1:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x28
>     SENSE KEY: Illegal Request
>      ASC/ASCQ: Read Of Scrambled Sector Without Authentication
>
> Now I know mplayer had its own DVD decrypter, but has this changed? Anyone
> know. Either way I have installed:
>
> libdvd-0.3p2        descramble scrambled DVDs using ACSS
> libdvdcss-1.2.9     descramble scrambled DVDs
> libdvdnav-4.1.3v0   DVD read/navigation library
> libdvdread-0.9.7p1  accessing DVD files

afaik, mplayer has been using ports libdvdread (or libdvdnav, which also
uses libdvdread) since some time.  and libdvdread uses libdvd, afaics.

> b) Stuttering sound after some time of playing some file/stream. Very
> annoying.
> The old version of mplayer did not do this for me.
>
> Has anyone experienced either of these issues, or is it a hardware
> specific bug?

a couple people reported similar issues even before the update.
I've investigated it, but it's hard to figure out what exactly is
causing the problem.  it could be different issues on different
machines, afaik.

> Maybe I need to work on another update - perhaps we just checked out at a bad
> time.
>
> I just looked at the mplayer www page, they are thinking of... releasing?!
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

yeah, might not be a bad idea to grab a new snap.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org