On 8 April 2011 00:50, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2011/04/07 12:59, patrick keshishian wrote:

>> > Really?
>> >
>> > $ uname -sr
>> > OpenBSD 4.8
>> > $ arch
>> > OpenBSD.i386
>> >
>> > Running chromium compiled without a modified compiler:
>> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>
>> i'm curious as to what "modified compiler" really means in this context?
>
> in order to get chrome running, he/she has to be running a compiler with
> the post-4.9 commit which defines HANDLE_PRAGMA_PACK_PUSH_POP.
>
> a system with parts of 4.8 and parts of -current doesn't really count
> as 4.8 to me...you should really be able to support yourself if you want
> to run run frankenstein builds.

This was built and tested on a system installed from the official 4.8
i386 cd with no parts of -current.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PortsSecurity
This is obviously wrong and might give people the false impression
that they're up-to-date and secure if they're tracking -stable ports
when in fact they're not anymore.

Should be changed to read something like this:

"15.3.9 - Security updates
When serious bugs or security flaws are discovered in third party
software, they are fixed in the -current branch of the ports tree.

This means all you need to do is make sure you use the -current
version of OpenBSD, as explained in FAQ 5 - OpenBSD's Flavors, check
out the -current branch of the ports tree, and build the desired
software from it. You can keep your tree up-to-date with CVS, and in
addition subscribe to the ports-changes mailing list to receive
security announcements related to software in the ports tree.

Security updates from -current ports tree are not backported to the
-stable branch anymore."