hmm, on Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 04:03:32PM +0000, Edd Barrett said that
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:04:02PM +0100, frantisek holop wrote:
> > ConTeXt is a pure TeX macro package and it does not need any of
> > texlive's 'overhead',
>
> Well, that's not strictly true; it requires luatex and metapost.

that is not overhead, that is basics :]
(as far as i know, there wouldn't be luatex without ConTeXt)

> Kili has suggested pulling context out of texlive and building a current
> conTeXt against luatex and metapost provided by texlive, but I am
> reluctant to do so as there is no guarantee that versions will be
> compatible (as you say, these tools move quickly).

the problem with context is, that it's at a crossroads that
makes creating a package for it very difficult (and that's not
the only reason).  mark II, the ruby version goes hand in hand
with pdftex.  mark IV, the lua version was written with luatex
in mind from the start.

context users are a bit like openbsd users who use snapshots.
it's nice to have a 'release' (texlive) version of context
but serious users update often ('snapshots'), and thus
texlive is not a viable distribution channel -- the whole
point behind the context standalone project.

i started putting together ports for the programs needed
by the standalone project (e.g. luatex, metapost, xetex,
complete list in their wiki), but it's not easy for me,
and their infrastructure in their current incarnation is not
based on packages in any form so it's not exactly a hand-glove
situation..  as there is no vocal userbase, and using the linux
version is so easy, investing time into a "proper" port
is simply not a priority..

> My advice -- wait until these tools mature and use TeX Live in the
> meantime. If you really need more than what TeX Live can offer, build
> the stuff you need manually into /opt. Sorry.

my advice: if you plan to use ConTeXt exclusively, go with the
ConTeXt standalone project, instructions for openbsd is on the
contextgarden wiki..

-f
--
part-time musicians are semiconductors.