Hi,

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 05:40:35PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> I looked into what would need to be done to package separately. It still
> needs metapost and luatex, which makes it a pain to separate.

It could just depend (run- and/or build-, whatever is needed) on the
texlive packages containing the metapost and luatex stuff.

> Making ls-R at fake time might be possible, but how would you deal with
> different subsets being installed?

First, the (currently) three texlive-texmf_* packages shouldn't
share anything searched by libkpathsea (i.e. any of the directories
in share/texmf-* that contain ls-R files).

If -main, -full and -docs would use different hierarchies, every
package could use its own static ls-R file created at fake time. I
don't know how much changed in the web2c file search magic during
the past 20 years, but I'd be surprised if this couldn't be done
by tweaking texmf.cnf a little bit, even if it references some
directories which only exist if certain packages like texlive-texmf_full
are installed.

> As long as we make sure external ports
> only ever install into texmf-local, we can dump a "full" ls-R in for texmf
> and texmf-dist and hash only texmf-local at install time when it changes?

Yes, this should be possible. If all else fails, just run ls -R on
texmf-local with an @exec entry. Or, if libkpathsea really needs
the silly comment on top of the ls-R file:

{ echo '% ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.'; ls
-R %D/share/texmf-local } > %D/share/texmf-local/ls-R

> Sadly, IIRC, it looks like context uses a single database file under
> texmf-var, although i would have to check this (currently on a train).

Be careful, trains are dangerous. Our leader kim jong il
died on a train.

Ciao,
        Kili