On 2012-01-02, Erling Westenvik <erling.westen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to get vlc-0.8.6i (code name "Janus" and which was
> in ports/packages on OpenBSD 4.7) running on OpenBSD 5.0.  AFAIK 0.8.6
> was the last/only version of vlc that truly honored the boasted netsync
> option. At least it worked for me and I have been able to have several
> machines in different rooms playing music in acceptable sync with each
> other.
>
> I attempted to compile 0.8.6 from source on OpenBSD 4.9 but gave up due
> to all kinds of compilation errors. I've learned a couple of things
> since then but would appreciate it if someone had any ideas, advice or
> alternative solutions.
>
> The ideal solution would be to have version vlc-0.8.6i co-existing with
> newer versions until the VideoLAN folks finally got netsync working. Who
> do I have to ... pay to get such a thing done?
>
> Cheers,
> Erling

To build the old vlc, the best starting point is probably
'cd /usr/ports/x11/vlc; cvs up -D 2010/05/01'.

You will have to make some changes to adapt to changes in ports
infrastructure - the LIB_DEPENDS/RUN_DEPENDS format changed along
these lines:

old

LIB_DEPENDS= mad.>=2.1::audio/libmad

new

LIB_DEPENDS= audio/libmad
WANTLIB= mad>=2.1

Note that loads of security fixes have gone into VLC since 0.8.6i.

Personally if I was doing this, I'd be looking at sndio's network support
and seeing what it would take to write something which accepts an incoming
connections and splits the stream out to multiple listeners instead...

----------------------------
revision 1.76
date: 2011/04/28 06:19:57;  author: ratchov;  state: Exp;  lines: +17 -3
Implement a new authentication method allowing aucat and midicat to
work over TCP, for instance, to expose the sound card of one machine
with other machines of the network.

The first client generates a 128-bit random number (aka the
session cookie), saves it in $HOME/.aucat_cookie and sends it to the
server. Successive clients load the cookie from $HOME/.aucat_cookie
and send it to the server but the server accepts only clients whose
cookie matches the session cookie. When all clients are gone, the
session is over, and another cookie could start a new session, and so
on.

TCP is enabled on the server with the new -L option, and on the client
side hostnames are specified with a new optional component in the
device name.

hints from damien, dlg and deraadt, tweaks from jmc