On 2012/04/10 13:18, Laurence Tratt wrote:
> Anyone who's interested in Python will be interested in PyPy, a new Python
> implementation which runs on average 5 times faster than CPython. I have made
> an OpenBSD port, which can be found here [1]:
>
>   http://tratt.net/laurie/src/obsd/ports/pypy.tar.gz
>
> "PyPy is a fast, compliant alternative implementation of the Python language
> (equivalent to CPython 2.7.2)." For "pure" Python 2.7 programs, PyPy is
> generally a drop-in replacement; many programs benefit significantly from its
> tracing JIT.
>
> Unfortunately, PyPy's distribution and installation mechanism is currently
> rather non-standard; to make the problem tractable, the package installs into
> $PREFIX/pypy-${V}.
>
> To build PyPy, you will need a fair bit of RAM (8Gb is definitely safe; 6Gb
> is probably safe). Once built, PyPy often consumes less memory than CPython.
> I have only been able to test PyPy on amd64; i386 should work (perhaps with
> minor tweaks to the plist); other architectures probably won't work.
>
> Comments and questions welcome!
>

> Laurie
>
> [1] Track it with git here:
>       https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/tree/master/lang/pypy
> --
> Personal                                             http://tratt.net/laurie/
> The Converge programming language                      http://convergepl.org/
>    https://github.com/ltratt              http://twitter.com/laurencetratt

a few comments from reading;

- bitbucket distfiles seem to be dynamically generated and can change
at random moments, so they need mirroring

- release-1.8.tar.bz2 is not a good distfile name, either rename it
if mirroring, or use DIST_SUBDIR

- don't hardcode python2.7 version numbers / binary name / etc,
use MODULES=lang/python and ${MODPY_BIN}, ${MODPY_VERSION} etc.
If pypy requires 2.7 then you can force MODPY_VERSION=2.7
in the Makefile but the other instances should use the variables.

- USE_GMAKE=yes not BUILD_DEPENDS on gmake, use "${MAKE_PROGRAM}"
rather than hardcoding gmake in do-build