Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.he...@laas.fr> writes:

>> > ping
>> >
>> > I can take over maintainership if that's a problem.
>>
>> Well, the dbus problem mikeb@ ran into needs to be handled in some
>> way, it ought to degrade gracefully if a dbus session isn't available,
>> hanging at exit in 50% of cases isn't very nice.
>
> If you have a user dbus daemon running, emacs is happy.
>
> With the new code that starts dbus in users sessions automatically,
> there is no problem. Only users with heavily customized X sessions
> will suffer.
>
> I don't consider this as a show stopper.

Indeed, I think the modifications you made (xinitrc/xsession starting
dbus if available) should be enough.  This could also be documented in
a pkg/README file.

> OTOH, disabling dbus support in emacs 24 completely is also a
> solution. Afaict it's not used for anything critical.

Whether you use explicitely use dbus or not (as in, linking in
src/dbusbind.c) doesn't matter if you want to use a graphical flavor
(such as gtk3).  Even without GSettings or Gconf. For example, with

./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-dbus --without-gsettings
--without-gconf

Emacs will still be linked to libdbus and try to start a dbus instance.

(FYI gtk3 should be the default toolkit used by upstream 24.3)

>> Also we need to do something about the proliferation of emacs versions
>> in the ports tree. It's not *huge* but it's not like it's a small
>> fast-building port. There are special reasons for keeping 21 and IIRC
>> also 22, does this also apply to 23 or can 24 just go into editors/emacs
>> to replace emacs23? (I probably asked this before and it might even
>> have been answered but I can't find it in my local list archives at
>> the moment ;)
>>

> As far as I'm concerned emacs 24 can replace emacs 23. And I'm not
> sure what's the reason to keep 22 around. For me it can go too.

I do agree with Manuel and you on this:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=133941886303968&w=2

> (there are issues with zenicb and recent emacsen, but we should be
> able to fix them. zenicb.el is not that complicated).

Good to know.

--
Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas
GPG fingerprint: 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90 8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494