Stefan Sperling writes:
> Tested on amd64 and i386.
>
> It runs very well for me on amd64, using a quad-core phenom with
> an r600 radeon card.
>
> An x60s thinkpad isn't beefy enough to run the i386 version smoothly,
> and on the x60s the game also crashes in glBindBuffer() unless I set
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE in the environment (i.e. this prevents the crash
> but makes the game entirely unusable).
>
> So this game will only work with specific hardware.
>
> I've split the port into two packages, one package for the game
> itself, and a much larger package (about 270MB) for game data.
>
> While redistribution is entirely possible from a licence perspective
> I'm not sure if we want to hook this to the build by default, given
> its size and limited hardware combinations it will run on.
> But I'd like to commit the port to CVS in any case.

This idea seems strange to me. Why commit it but then not link it to
the build just because a few graphics cards have buggy drivers? That
only penalizes users who actually could use the package with their
cards. Plus nobody will notice when libgl/mesa gets fixed, so it will
remain unhooked forever.

How much of a problem is packages/ space on mirrors currently? I hope
not enough for us to need to selectively avoid packaging new ports.

No comments on the port itself yet except it needs NO_REGRESS=Yes, and
does run well on my amd64 + radeon hd 4350.