Stuart Henderson wrote, On 06/16/14 16:15:
On 2014/06/16 15:27, Clint Pachl wrote:
Landry Breuil wrote, On 05/15/14 12:26:
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 08:19:08PM +0100, Fred wrote:
Hi Ports,

This might be old information but I have just noticed that spell checking is
working again in Firefox 29.0 and Thunderbird 24.5.0
Yes, i finally found time to dig into it, and it got commited with 29.0.
Not everything is properly fixed (the root issue is not, see
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/991278), but at least this way it works.
After upgrading to OBSD 5.5 my spell checker also quit working with
Seamonkey 2.23, the release package. I've been trying to live without it
until November, but I just can't. My spelling isn't 100% and I use email for
professional business communications.
Does it help to go intoabout:config  and set spellchecker.dictionary_path to
/usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts ?

First, I ensured that I had the dictionaries correctly installed:

$ cd /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts/
$ ls -1
en-GB.aff
en-GB.dic

Then to make sure I have all my bases covered, I did the following:

$ sudo cp en-GB.aff en-US.aff
$ sudo cp en-GB.dic en-US.dic

(mostly becaue my default preferences are "en-US")

I tried setting `spellchecker.dictionary_path` (per Stuart H.) to the following (including "US" version) with no luck:

* /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts

* /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts/

* /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts/en-GB.aff

* /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts/en-GB.dic

* /usr/local/share/mozilla-dicts/en-GB

* /home/pachl/.mozilla/seamonkey/e8cxa4g0.default/extensions/en...@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org/dictionaries/

(the last one points to the add-on English dictionary)

I also tried setting `spellchecker.dictionary` to "en-US" and "en-GB" but no difference.

I uninstalled my add-on dictionaries and retried the above settings to make sure there were no conflicts, but that didn't help. I reinstalled the following add-on dictionaries:

* United States English Spellchecker 7.0.1
* British English 1.19.5

and tried the settings above again, but no luck.

Also, I restarted Seamonkey between settings to make sure the changes were updated.

I disabled my only 3 extensions in case they were not causing problems:

* Compact Menu 2 4.3.1
* It's All Text! 1.8.1
* LastPass 3.1.1

Executed seamonkey with lang:

$ seamonkey -lang en-US

And also tried safe mode with a variation of dictionary paths and installed dictionaries:

$ seamonkey -safe-mode

I looked at all of my configs that contained "spell" hopefully turning up a clue. Everything was set to the default except for `layout.spellcheckDefault`, which I reset from 2 -> 1.

Nothing worked. It's as if Seamonkey doesn't recognize any of the installed dictionaries, in my profile or the system dictionary package. No output to STDERR either.

I'm all out of ideas.