Jordon wrote:
> I have current running on some machines and multiple times a week I
> will update them by booting bsd.rd and doing the (u) option (i think
> that is the ‘proper’ way to update to the latest current base system).
>
> I will occasionally update all the packages I have installed by doing
> a ‘pkg_add -u’ as root.  Based on the output, it is going through the
> packages, checking for newer versions, and updating if there is one.
> It then prints a “pkgname-oldver->newver” string.  The thing is, a lot
> of the time the old version and new version is the same.  What does
> this mean?  A slight tweak to a makefile or something that wasn’t
> significant enough to rev the version number?  Some date discrepancy
> with the mirror i am pulling it from?  I know it’s a small thing, but
> it really has me puzzled.

It typically means that one of the libraries that the package depends on
has been updated. This can be either a system library (included in the
base system) or a third-party library (installed as a package). Because
its dependencies are updated, the binary has to be relinked.

For what it's worth, this is also why you will see warnings like the one
below if you run a binary that is out-of-sync with your libraries: