On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:57:42PM -0500, mitchell wodach wrote:
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you want to pkg_add -Uu. Which
> updates dependent packages also?

Nope.

pkg_add -U  exists for when you want to install a package in a hurry,
and don't want to update your whole base of installed packages (roughly
500 packages on my current laptop)

Saved our collective asses lots of time, say you run current, realize you
forgot to install magicpoint, and do a pkg_add magicpoint... figure out
nothing matches, decide to do a pkg_add -u first, and then wait for 2 hours
until you updated the whole of texlive and the rest of your system.

So, this is exactly how pkg_add -U was born, and the scenario becomes
pkg_add -U magicpoint
which will only update the dependency tree leading to magicpoint (e.g.,
freetype), then install magicpoint and let you get a shiny new magicpoint
in about 1 minute, knowing full well, you will reserve a few hours to
get texlive updated later.