Solene Rapenne <sol...@perso.pw> writes:

> Rafael Sadowski writes:
>
>> On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
>>>
>>> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this
>>> one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some
>>> are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
>>>
>>> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If
>>> someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
>>>

>> Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>
> Please find a port of games/gzdoom.
>
> About the name, the website hosting it is zdoom, but gzdoom is the
> project replacing the abandoned zdoom engine, but it's hosted by zdoom
> as gzdoom is a fork of zdoom that continues to live.
>

> It requires doom 2 files in ${PREFIX}/share/doom/ for most of mods, but
> you can also play doom 1, heretic, hexen etc...
>

> A few mods to play with it for lot of fun:
>
> - Castlevania : https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny
> - Golden Souls 2 : https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2

I'd say the port needs few more dependencies listed.

My gzdoom port had following listed:
BUILD_DEPENDS =         archivers/bzip2 \
                        audio/libsndfile \
                        audio/mpg123 \
                        audio/openal \
                        devel/nasm \
                        devel/sdl2 \
                        graphics/jpeg

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-lpthread -lc++abi"

RUN_DEPENDS =           audio/fluidsynth \
                        audio/generaluser-gs-soundfont \
                        audio/timidity \
                        x11/gxmessage

I don't remember why some of them are listed anymore. I made the port a while
ago. Gxmessage is needed when the game crash, the code calls gxmessage to
display messages.

When building the port on my amd64 I noticed following flags passed to build
process:
-DDYN_FLUIDSYNTH
-DDYN_GTK=1
-DDYN_MPG123
-DDYN_OPENAL
-DDYN_SNDFILE
-DHAVE_FLUIDSYNTH
-DHAVE_MPG123
-DHAVE_SNDFILE

But the port make file doesn't mention them.

I think my previous problems at wad/pk3 loading were due to custom gzdoom.ini
file in ~/.config/gzdoom. After I removed it the game started with the doomdata
wad file just fine. But the starting the game takes about 11 seconds to start
for me on Thinkpad T430s with SSD drive. It seems a bit slow.

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/gzdoom.pk3, 625 lumps
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/zd_extra.pk3, 132 lumps
 adding /usr/local/share/doom/doom1.wad, 1264 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
  Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
  Family 6, Model 58, Stepping 9
  Features: SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 HyperThreading
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
  Opened device SndIO Default
  EFX enabled
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 365.13 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using video driver x11
GL_VENDOR: Intel Open Source Technology Center
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
GL_VERSION: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.6 (Core profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 3.30

Max. texture size: 8192
Max. texture units: 16
Max. varying: 128
Max. uniform block size: 65536
Uniform block alignment: 16
<... stuck here for ~11s ...>
Resolution: 640 x 480

Also, when I change the audio backends I get following messages in console:
Playing demo DEMO1
Cannot play non-GZDoom demos.
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or
directory)
Unable to create WildMidi MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or
directory)
Unable to create Timidity++ MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or
directory)
Unable to create FluidSynth MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or
directory)
Playing demo DEMO2

Should we add other backends so they can be used?

Here's my few notes about the port.

Timo