On 2019/05/07 09:44, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> On Thu, May 02 2019, Nam Nguyen <n...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > This is a continuation of this 2018 thread:
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=152201589030271&w=2
> >
> > I have attached a new port, net/rtptools. I based it off of Jan Stary's
> > submission. Jan, I kept you as maintainer if that is ok.
> >
> > rtptools itself has recently changed from a non-commercial license to
> > BSD 3-clause, as of rtptools 1.22, released July 2018.
> >
> > Here are the licenses for files not originally by rtptools.
> > * hsearch.[ch] (BSD 4-clause)
> > * multimer.[ch] (BSD ancestor)
> > * hsearch.[ch] (BSD 4-clause)
> > * notify.[ch] (all rights reserved)
> > * vat.h (BSD ancestor)
> >
> > How does the licensing of notify.{h,c} affect the PERMIT_* variables for
> > OpenBSD? To be safe, I just put no. Here are the licenses from
> > notify.{h,c}.

yep.

> > /*
> > notify  --  primitive notification service implementing a subset of the
> > SunOS
> >             (sunview/XView) notifier.
> >
> > Copyright 1993 by AT&T Bell Laboratories; all rights reserved
>
> "All rights reserved" doesn't mean much to me, afaik it is just
> something that was cargo-culted.  IMO, this file lacks a proper license
> for redistribution, but I bet there are tons of such files in the ports
> tree.  I'm fine with playing it safe here, as done in your proposal.

"All rights reserved" text was required for an old copyright convention,
still used in some countries until 2000, it means that it may not be
copied without permission. Newer conventions don't require this text and
creative works are copyright by default.

AIUI they should not be distributing this, and especially not alongside
a LICENSE file (and repo setting in github) implying that it is BSD-licensed.
Sanest thing to do if this software is actually useful would be to rewrite
that code...