> > Ports shouldn't use hardcoded /usr/local - the diff attached uses
> > ${LOCALBASE}/${TRUEPREFIX} instead of /usr/local as appropriate,
> > ${X11BASE} instead of /usr/X11R6, ${SYSCONFDIR} for the /etc files
> > that comes from ports rather than base, and ${SUBST_CMD} in
> > post-patch to substitute them for the correct paths.
>
> These patches have to go upstream, so those paths can't be dynamic.
> I don't know what Landry's plan is for patching our port before they
> are committed upstream, but once they are committed, I guess there
> can be a post-patch step to turn them from hard-coded defaults to
> ${LOCALBASE} and friends.

After *all* these years, I don't understand why we are still pretending to be
able to install stuff outside of /usr/local.
It causes nothing but pain for porters for absolutely *0* benefit. Because it's
a promise we cannot hold.
Can't we just agree that VARBASE is /var, SYSCONFDIR is /etc and PREFIX is
/usr/local once and for all?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but we all know what all these SUBST_CMD do in
real life: s,/usr/local,/usr/local,

Time to be pragmatic...

--
Antoine