Can someone point in me in the right direction how to prevent firefox
from making lots of unwanted network connections, e.g., to
amazonaws.com
cloudfront.net
even if I didn't open any website yet?

I disabled "pingsender" and all "telemetry" options I could find,
and in OpenBSD 6.5 I simply used tcpdrop on all web connections a
bit after startup, but now I updated to OpenBSD 6.6 and those
connections come back again and again even if just let it "sit"
idle.

I strongly prefer that firefox only makes network connections which
I initiated instead of possibly giving away my data to some places...