On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:36 PM Claus Assmann <openbsd+po...@esmtp.org> wrote:

> Can someone point in me in the right direction how to prevent firefox
> from making lots of unwanted network connections, e.g., to
> amazonaws.com
> cloudfront.net
> even if I didn't open any website yet?
>
> I disabled "pingsender" and all "telemetry" options I could find,
> and in OpenBSD 6.5 I simply used tcpdrop on all web connections a
> bit after startup, but now I updated to OpenBSD 6.6 and those
> connections come back again and again even if just let it "sit"
> idle.
>
> I strongly prefer that firefox only makes network connections which
> I initiated instead of possibly giving away my data to some places...

Mozilla has a rather long list of steps to perform should you as a user
be concerned about privacy:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

If you want to restrict FireFox as much as possible, it may be
worthwhile to maintain your own user.js file using the following
repository as a reference:
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js

I've not confirmed that what I've proposed will give you the desired
effect, but good luck.