On 2020/02/06 10:15, Daniel Jakots wrote:
> Hi Theo,
>
> Thanks for working on that!
>
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 15:21:23 +0100, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org>
> wrote:
>
> > First of all, despite the length of this mail, most of the update is
> > straightforward. The diff is an in-place upgrade from 4.0.14 to 5.0.7.

When the topic came up before, there was some mention of 5.x not working
on some arches, I would like to see this tested on at least i386, sparc64,
aarch64 before it goes in. I can do some tests on i386 and probably
also aarch64 but not sparc64.

> > The release notes (which contain migration instructions at the very
> > end)
> >
> > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/antirez/redis/5.0/00-RELEASENOTES
>
> Since Redis 5.0 is still able to read 4.0 mdb format, I assume for a
> user there is nothing to do. I guess you don't plan to add anything to
> current.html do you?
>
> > look as if there is no risk of losing data due to the migration and
> > looking around on the net I couldn't find any reports of breakage.
> > However, I don't know and can't know for sure.
> >
> > Since we're playing with user data here, it might be more prudent to
> > provide a redis5 port, and to leave it to the users to decide if and
> > when they want to migrate instead of forcing it upon them right when
> > the update goes in (or when they upgrade to 6.7).
>
> AFAIK, redis is (or should be) used as a cache i.e. losing its data is
> a small inconvenience but shouldn't be a problem.

noooooo, this would be a big problem....

>                                                   I don't think
> duplicating the port is worth it.

I do agree with that.

> > A detail: redis-sentinel is installed as a symlink to redis-server.
> > Ports seem to do this frequently, but I wonder if that should be
> > turned into a hard link as is usually done in base?
>
> What are the pro/cons of using a hard link instead?

Not sure about pros, but here's a con: you need to check inode numbers
to see for sure where they point (I hate this with the hardlinked files
in base...)