> > Version 0.6.2 works on big endian, which is what I’ll be using this
> > software on a lot.
> If you worked on a 0.6.2 port and 0.6.3 gets out before your port
> submission, this is by no means any blocker.

This isn’t the case. 0.6.2 was released in 2002 and the latest version
in 2018. However there was only one release in between the 2, in 2004
and there have not been massive changes to the core program.

If there was a currently supported option for what this software does I
would use it instead however this is the only option for big endian.

> We encourage using the latest versions where possible, but if known
> breakage is on the roadmap, there's little point in updating until
> upstream fixed it - afterall, I even consider it a good sign that you
> spotted the regression and hold back on updating it.
>
> On the other hand, ports stuck at a specific version without updates in
> sight tend to be removed after longer periods of time without updates.

Even if they work 100% fine this is the case?

> > NetBSD has a port of the  newest version of this software. It looks like
> > it wasn’t properly tested because they use no patches in their port
> > yet produce PowerPC binaries. This is unconfirmed however because I
> > don’t use NetBSD.
> Reach out to them and ask.

I’ve emailed NetBSD on this and am waiting for a response, I almost
did so before writing this email to ports.