Attached new tgz, I haven't done anything about the internal copies
of libraries though.

On 2020/06/07 08:01, Charlie Burnett wrote:
> Thanks for all your help and extensive patience on this Stuart! I’ll try to
> ensure I follow your advice on other stuff here forward. In a similar vein,
> a dependency is part of a local version of a library for opencv (flann)- I
> need to poke around a little more, but would it be advisable to try to make
> that into its own port and point both packages to mark it as a dependency?

Not sure, I don't know enough about that library to say really, it looks
like it might be an atypical case.

Many of the things in vtk's ThirdParty directory look like they should be
switched though. There is a cmake flag VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES that would
have it use system versions of everything it can find by default (e.g. in
CONFIGURE_ARGS set -DVTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES=on), or there are various
settings for individual libs which might be better to use (auto detect
is often a problem when new ports are added later).

VTK_USE_SYSTEM_DIY2
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_DOUBLECONVERSION
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_EIGEN
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_EXPAT
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_FREETYPE
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_GL2PS
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_GLEW
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_JPEG
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_JSONCPP
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_KISSFFT
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBHARU
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBPROJ
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LIBXML2
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LZ4
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_LZMA
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_NETCDF
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_PEGTL
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_PNG
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_PUGIXML
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_SQLITE
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_THEORA
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_TIFF
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_UTF8
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_XDMF3
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_ZFP
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB

Not all of these are in ports, and for some of them vtk may want different
versions than we have so they might not work, but we'd definitely want system
versions of these if at all possible: expat freetype zlib (in base),
jpeg jsoncpp libxml2 lz4 lzma ogg png tiff (in ports).

These are also in ports and I think we'd at least want to try to use system
versions: doubleconversion eigen gl2ps glew hdf5 libharu libproj netcdf pugixml
sqlite (really sqlite3) theora