In a message dated 1/25/99 10:27:40 PM Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< but linda, "wild and blue" was a HUGE hit for john anderson, and saying so
 ain't snooty. and as much as i love the meke's version, it's not irk-worthy,
 either. rather, it's analagous to pointing out that nirvana, not tori amos,
 first gave us "smells like teen spirit." bill f-w >>

I know Nirvana, and John Anderson ain't no Nirvana.  Still, point taken.  As
is Jon's, actually, to the extent you'd think a record company would insist on
always publishing writers' credits in the liner notes since they probably have
to get somebody's okay to use their song in the first place.  I'm not sure
anyone's made it clear, though, that Hazeldine's Orphans liner notes  don't
credit the song to the Mekons at all.  What they say is:

"Wild and Blue
(John Scott Shery/Sweet Baby Music, BMI)
>From the Mekons.  Because we all love Jon Langford so much."

What they don't say is that John Anderson had the hit with it, but no one ever
does, and Hazeldine's and that writers' audience are more likely to be
familiar with the Mekons.

BTW, how many country writers even, in comparable circumstances, refer to
Hecht/Block's "Walkin' After Midnight"?  The relevant reference is more likely
to Patsy Cline's, innit?

Linda, recoiling from the thought of Tori Amos "Smells Like Teen Spirit,"
while reserving the right to adore Sinead O'Connor's "All Apologies"