>>Hot New Country.  i.e. "not your parents old twangy country"
>>Promo slogan for denatured country music designed to appeal to
>>a particular primo  demographic.   Soft and 70s rock crap with
>>a fiddle buried way way back.
>
> So, this is what I learned today:  HNC is not really "hot." It's
> new only in that its not "old." And it's barely "country." Hmm, I'm
confused.

No need to be confused; the first line of Stuart's definition is right.
After that it's more problematic, insofar as it describes only a part of
what's available on mainstream country radio; there's a good deal more
fiddle and steel guitar to be heard from the mainstream than from the
alt.country side.  It's revealing, though, in terms of what Carl Wilson was
discussing - i.e., the "soft and 70s rock crap" is a marker indicating that
the underlying point is the writer's taste in rock music.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/