Huh? wha?  Was that the bell?

Jon Weisberger wrote:

> >>Hot New Country.  i.e. "not your parents old twangy country"
> >>Promo slogan for denatured country music designed to appeal to
> >>a particular primo  demographic.   Soft and 70s rock crap with
> >>a fiddle buried way way back.
> >
> > So, this is what I learned today:  HNC is not really "hot." It's
> > new only in that its not "old." And it's barely "country." Hmm, I'm
> confused.
>
> No need to be confused; the first line of Stuart's definition is right.
> After that it's more problematic, insofar as it describes only a part of
> what's available on mainstream country radio;

That's right, but that's not what the HNC designtion was designed to promote.
Although from the limited listening I do of mainstream country (hey, time is
short and I got a alterantive station here), its a large chunk of what is
available.

> there's a good deal more
> fiddle and steel guitar to be heard from the mainstream than from the
> alt.country side.

Well I can't engage this claim without seeing a lineup of the teams and the
exact criteria by which the players are placed in column A or column B.

> It's revealing, though, in terms of what Carl Wilson was
> discussing - i.e., the "soft and 70s rock crap" is a marker indicating that
> the underlying point is the writer's taste in rock music.

No, that is not the underlying point.  The soft rock crap comment was cribbed
from rock star Robbie Fulks comment.  Maybe should have left that alone.  The
70s comment was descriptive of the styles adopted by people such as Garth
Brooks and Deanna Carter.   I personally don't like rock music at all, although
Buck Owens is OK.  I prefer country music like the Stones did back around
69-70.  OK, so these are not traditional ways of categorizing things, but I'm
kind of  confused on just what the boundaries are or why they are important,
although they clearly are.

Stuart
too tired to carry on this round right now
np. Stoney Edwards: You Cant Call Yourself Country