I disagree with you here.  I am not a fan of showboating . . . but a
certain amount of TV/Pop music is 'the show' and entertaining people is
part of the bag.

I always kind of liked GE SMith's commercial segue poses and the sweet
looking guitars.  The asthetic was actually pretty sweet . . . adn T-bone
Wolk always had a cool outfit/hat.

IT'S  TV man.  A show.  Theatre.  Visuals.  I don't want some post-punker
sitting up there in a t-shirt -- I've seen that.  Paint me a picture . . .
use sweet guitars . . . .

The bottom line is the way a guy PLAYS.

GE SMith always seemed pretty tasteful to my ears and when he toured with
Dylan he was pretty unassuming visually and played great with the band.

I am not real knowledgeable about him and don't really have a great
opinion.  But what I saw of him and heard of him was kinda cool.

-jim

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yeah, he's a great guitarist, who can fit in just about any bill (rock, blues,
> country, blah, blah, blah), but I consider him a showboat.  Like what Benz
> brought up, evey commercial break on SNL, he has a different guitar, and we're
> not talking $100 pawn shop specimens, he's pulling out late 50s Strats and
> Teles, Gretsch White Falcons, Ricks with the lights under the pickguards, and
> it seemed that he was doing it JUST BECAUSE he knew he could do it with that
> exposure.

> I heard him on an interview once (Fresh Air?) in which he stated that all
> music white people play can be traced to black music.  I never knoew Buckwheat
> Zydeco had such an impact on Frankie Yankovic.

probably overstated, but pretty close to the truth I think.  Certainly to
the major pop genres in the US.  The banjo was an african instrument and
we know the rhythmic influences on blues nad rock and jazz . . . other
than that you have eastern european, indian and asian influences but in a
much less dosage.

ah hell that's what I think . . .

-jim