> > I'm new here, so I hope it works this way (if not I'm sorry); anyway, I
> > write a bi-monthly newsletter, and I need some names for the cream of
> > the crop in new releases in alt. country, etc., this year so far. I am
> > looking for indie bands in particular, but any suggestions will be
> > appreciated.

My favorite alt-country record so far is Tom Russell's new record "The
Man From Nowhere"  - my love for this record is immense and it's hard for
me to see a record topping it - I think it's the most ambitious folk
record I've ever heard - a potpourri of styles - cowboy, Irish,
Norwegian, and then some.  Even a little sample from Walt Whitman! Not
It's a gem
(coming out in the states next month on hightone).

The other fave so far is Mojave 3's new one Out of Tune.  I don't know
much about their arlier work, but this one sounds like early Neil Young
strumming and nick Drake a bit, but like Neil can be, it's a bit
country.  Very simple, pretty record.

keep dancing,
-ldk