On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 18:17:34 EST [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But we as members of the general public really have no
>say over the private  wishes of family members.
> Mary Katherine

Absolutely. A good example of the anguish misguided fans
can cause is Allman Brother Berry Oakley's gravesite in
Macon, GA. The family has been in trouble with the city for
erecting a fence around the grave to keep people from
making pilgrimages to the site (with the resulting rubbish
and carryings on that a dead rock star's memory seems to
require). His sister, I think, was quoted as saying that
they never would've marked the grave or would've had him
cremated or something if they knew the heartache a
visible memorial would cause.

William Cocke
Senior Writer
HSC Development