Howdy,

A bonus playlist this week, because I was asked at the last minute yesterday
evening to guest host another WDVX show, "Country Card Party." The show
normally airs on Mondays from 7 to 11 and is hosted by Mark Arnold. Mark
was, I believe working at the Bare Jr. in-store appearance and the Brian
Setzer/Bare Jr. concert and, since I have no social life at all, I agreed to
fill in.

The show mostly features a mix of classic country, honky tonk, and
alt.country (sort of a merging of my shows-- Tennessee Saturday Night and
The Fringe), but since I only had time to grab one of my CD cases on the way
to the station, my version of the show carried a definite Fringe flavor to
it, although I did have some good opportunities to mix in the classic
sounds.

Audience response was interesting to say the least. The first caller during
the Bare Jr. tune asked, "This *is* the *Country* Card Party, right? What
the heck is this stuff?" Followed immediately by another caller who said, "I
*love* this." Me? I'm still undecided on Bare Jr. myself. I like his Daddy
fine, though.

I got a chance to play some cuts from another recent CD discovery -- Jim
Croce: The 50th Anniversary Collection. Not enough talk around here about
Mr. Croce, if you ask me.

Anyway, here's the playlist:

Country Card Party -- guest host -- 8 February 1999
WDVX-FM 89.9 FM -- Clinton/Knoxville, TN

I'm Branded -- Link Wray -- Rumble! The Best of Link Wray -- Rhino
The Most -- Bare Jr. -- Boo-Tay -- Immortal
Bang Bang Bang -- Al Anderson -- Pay Before You Pump -- Imprint

Send My Body -- Randy Travis -- Storms of Life -- Warner Brothers
The Salt in My Tears -- Dolly Parton -- Hungry Again -- Decca
Smokin' 100s Alone -- The Bottle Rockets -- 24 Hours a Day -- Atlantic
Wilder Than Her -- Fred Eaglesmith -- Drive-In Movie -- Vertical

You're the Reason -- John Fogerty -- The Blue Ridge Rangers -- Fantasy
The Ballad of Davy Crockett -- Doug Sahm -- SDQ 98 -- Watermelon
Copperhead Road -- Steve Earle -- Ain't Ever Satisfied -- Hip-O

Bluebell -- Greg Trooper -- Popular Demons -- Koch
Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy) -- Jim Croce -- The 50th Anniversary
Collection -- Saja
Tears'll Be Pouring -- The Countrypolitans -- Tired of Drowning --
Ultrapolitan

(The Jim Croce song above in celebration of the opening of NASCAR's 1999
season. Go, D.W.!!!)

Love's Gonna Live Here -- Buck Owens -- The Very Best of Buck Owens, Vol.
2 -- Rhino
Sad Singin' and Slow Ridin' -- Jean Sheppard -- Honky Tonk Heroine --
Country Music Foundation
Three Days -- Willie Nelson -- Teatro -- Island
The Wurlitzer Prize -- Waylon Jennings -- The Essential Waylon Jennings --
RCA

Rock-A-Hula Baby -- Junior Brown -- Long Walk Back -- Curb
Tom Bodett -- Mark David Manders & Nuevo Tejas -- Tales from the Couch --
Blind Nello
You Shook Me All Night Long -- Hogwaller Ramblers -- Hogwaller Ramblers --
Mea Culpa

No One Is Gonna Love You Better -- Heather Myles w/Merle Haggard -- Highways
and Honky Tonks -- Rounder
Bury Me -- Dwight Yoakum w/Maria McKee -- Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. --
Reprise
Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key -- Billy Bragg & Wilco w/Natalie
Merchant -- Mermaid Avenue -- Elektra
Then Came Lo Mein -- Robert Earl Keen w/Margo Timmins -- Picnic --
Arista/Austin

Push Comes to Love -- Gerry Devine & the Hi-Beams -- Gadfly Pie -- Gadfly
Candy Kisses -- Greasetrap -- Bubbapalooza, Vol. 1 -- Sky
Big Plans -- Ignitors -- Ghost Train -- Hayden's Ferry

You Don't Want My Love -- Roger Miller -- King of the Road -- Bear Family
I'm Gonna Live Some Before I Die -- Faron Young -- Live Fast, Love Hard --
Country Music Foundation
Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad -- Tammy Wynette -- 20 Greatest Hits -- TeeVee

Carrie Brown -- Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band -- The Mountain --
E-Squared
Runnin' on E -- Duke Daniels -- Help Is on the Way -- E Pluribus
I'm In -- Radney Foster w/Abra Moore -- See What You Want to See --
Arista/Austin
Good Til Now -- Gillian Welch -- Hell Among the Yearlings -- Almo

(My great-grandmother's name, not that you care, was Carrie Brown. She lived
to be a 101 and had a reputation as a younger woman for being involved in
more than a few love triangles. So, Steve Earle's song makes me smile.)

Honey Hush -- Elvis Costello & the Attractions -- Almost Blue -- Rykodisc
When Will I Be Loved -- The Everly Brothers -- Cadence Classics: Their 20
Greatest Hits -- Rhino
She Left Me Cold -- The Derailers -- Jackpot -- Watermelon

Huggin' and Kissin' -- Cadillac Cowgirl with Her Back Door Men -- High on
the Hog -- Sur
It Ain't Easy Being Me -- Chris Knight -- Chris Knight -- Decca
Applejack -- Dolly Parton -- Heartsongs -- Blue Eye
My Baby Don't Dance to Nothing But Ernest Tubb -- Junior Brown -- 12 Shades
of Brown -- Curb

Don't Toss Us Away -- Lone Justice -- This World Is Not My Home -- Geffen
Soap, Soup and Salvation -- Lone Justice -- Lone Justice -- Geffen
The Train -- Lone Justice -- This World Is Not My Home -- Geffen

(This Saturday's featured artist on The Fringe will be Lone Justice. I
indulged in a little shameless self-promotion here.)

Pontiac -- Fred Eaglesmith -- Lipstick, Lies & Gasoline -- Razor & Tie
Pauline -- Kevin Gordon -- Cadillac Jack's #1 Son -- Shanachie
That's How I Got to Memphis -- Kelly Willis -- Real: The Tom T. Hall
Project -- Sire

Lawdy, What A Gal -- Merle Travis -- The Best of Merle Travis -- Rhino
Fat Man in the Bathtub -- Little Feat -- Dixie Chicken -- Warner Brothers
She's Hot to Go -- Lyle Lovett -- Pontiac -- MCA/Curb
Across the Alley from the Alamo --Pine Valley Cosmonauts w/Robbie Fulks --
Salutes the Majesty of Bob Wills -- Bloodshot

A Good Time Man Like Me Ain't Got No Business -- Jim Croce -- 50th
Anniversary Collection -- Saja
San Antonio Rose -- Pine Valley Cosmonauts w/Alejandro Escovedo & Jon
Langford -- Salutes the Majesty of Bob Wills -- Bloodshot
Lock, Stock and Teardrops -- Roger Miller -- King of the Road -- Bear Family
Help Wanted -- Buddy Miller -- Poison Love -- Hightone

Keep This House Rockin' -- Billy Bremner -- A Good Week's Work -- Gadfly
Rave On -- Buddy Holly -- Greatest Hits -- MCA
Amy88 -- V-Roys -- All About Town -- E-Squared
Oh Lonesome Me -- Don Gibson -- RCA Nashville Classics: The 50s -- RCA

My Baby's In Love with Another Guy -- Mike Morgan & the Crawl -- Ain't
Worried No More -- Black Top
I Wouldn't Put It Past Me -- Dwight Yoakum -- A Long Way Home -- Reprise
Jack the Ripper -- Link Wray -- Rumble! The Best of Link Wray -- Rhino
Sittin' On Top of the World -- Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee -- Hometown
Blues -- Mainstream

Whew. That was a long show. And then I had to go to bed and get up at 5 this
morning for a television interview. I'm sleepy. Must work... must find
caffeine...

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN