I'll admit it.  I downloaded the Other Ones' MP3 of ''Mississippi Half Step.''  It
sucked, to quote Jeff Wall.  There are a lot of decent MP3s out there (see
http://www.mp3.com for legal ones; search for the others).

The technology is relatively easy to master, the sound is quite good, and the sizes
are decent.  For example, I made an MP3 of the song "Dwight's Blues" from Rob Ickes'
new CD "Slide City" (for testing purposes, not for dissemination).  The original 16
bit 44kHz stereo AIFF file was 36.3 Mb.  The MP3 was 3.3 Mb.

I wonder when someone will come up with a way to translate RealAudio files into MP3.