Jon Weisberger wrote:
>  MP3s are, I
> think, mostly played back on computer audio systems (duh), on which the
> difference between an MP3 and a CD is barely detectable, if at all.

Jon, I been listening to MP3 files that I created from AIFF files that I
recorded and mixed on my big old JBL studio monitors, and it's damn
close. All I hear is some kind of artifact in the high end that sounds a
little bit like a mild case of phasing, but it is not unpleasant or
weird. It is a little like hearing one of your mixes on the radio;
different, slightly compressed, sort of swirly.

>  IMO,
> the MD's survival depends on the extent to which it's adopted as a portable
> recording format; I know a lot of musicians and radio folks who use them,
> for listening to mixes and dubs for the former (superior to cassettes) and
> for doing out-of-studio interviews, station promos from stars, etc.

There's no question in my mind that we are all going to be using digital
formats for everyday cassette and CD-type uses, very very soon.

I have been trying to hold out for analogue for years, but when you are
doing a bunch of song demos the digital realm is just so superior, and
once they get those sample rates up I think tape will disappear except
in diehard studios.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records