On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Brad Bechtel wrote:

> The technology is relatively easy to master, the sound is quite good,
> and the sizes are decent.  For example, I made an MP3 of the song
> "Dwight's Blues" from Rob Ickes' new CD "Slide City" (for testing
> purposes, not for dissemination).  The original 16 bit 44kHz stereo AIFF
> file was 36.3 Mb.  The MP3 was 3.3 Mb.

I have to admit some curiosity. One of the reasons Sony's MiniDisc has
been met with disdain is that it uses a lossy format. MP3 doesn't strike
me as all that different, and I do wonder why many people seem to feel so
differently about the two. (I'm not implying you have, Brad, just taking
off on your comments.)

Bob