Well, now that I know what you people will work for, can anyone steer me to a good wholesale source for peanuts?

http://www.moundcity.com/ seems pretty good, but they're in St. Louis, MO. In the Central Valley, try Buchanan Hollow Nut Company, 800-532-1500, in LeGrand, CA.

Which reminds me. We do not as yet *have* any kind of P.A. What should we get?

How much money do you want to spend? There are a number of good small systems available right now. Check out the units by Fender/Sunn, Peavey, Yamaha or JBL - all are decent for small venues and inexpensive. Personally, I'd hold off on the PA until this venture proves itself. If worse comes to worse, you can run a Shure SM58 through a guitar amp.

See http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/4241/ for some suggestions and a tutorial.