> For bang for the buck, the old standby 6 channel powered Peavey head with
> reverb connected to a pair of 12 or 15 inch cabinets with horns is pretty
> damn hard to beat.

Yup.  A substantial proportion of the world's Peavey amps appear on the
stage of the Grand Ole Opry every week.

<ahem> I've been touting Daryle Singletary for a while.  He's a favorite of
guys like George Jones and Merle Haggard.  On the late show, he appeared on
Jimmy C. Newman's portion, did a really country song, and then consented, at
Jimmy's request, to do his George Jones and Merle Haggard impressions on
"Yesterday's Wine."  Unfortunately, I believe he's without a label right
now; I read somewhere (CST?) that Giant dropped him.  They're the same folks
that dropped Rhonda Vincent right after she made Trouble Free.  Screw 'em.

Yes, things are getting better in Nashville, though they're still far from
good.  Reba's current hit is some hot country, no "new" about it, and I've
been hearing a ton of Tricia Yearwood's new one lately, and it's pretty
solid, too (also heard Faith Hill's new one for the first time; good, but
much further from trad. country than Tricia's.  Vince has been appearing so
much on the Opry because they're going out on tour next month; my bet is
that show will be worth catching if it comes your way.  He deserves a lot of
the credit for what good things are coming, IMO, especially through the
example he's set of working the Opry.

BTW, Jimmy C. Newman did a version of "Big Mamou" that was very reminiscent
of Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke's, which barely scraped the Top 40 in 1975; there
were a lot of the same ensemble accents (e.g., little rhythm kicks during
the breaks).  Did Frenchie get it off an early Jimmy C. recording, or did
Jimmy C. get the arrangement off Burke?  Inquiring minds, etc.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/