Howdy,

Jim Nelson writes of the Cope Brothers: <<I missed the original inquiry, but
since I have the record in question, I can verify it's existence.  It's on
the King label, but I don't have the specifics.  I have another King 78 by
the Cope Brothers with "Hills of Roane County" and "My Main Trial Is yet To
Come."  I don't know anything about them beyond that they were a brother act
that sang old-time trios and duets backed by guitar, mandolin, and electric
guitar in a style somewhat similar to Charlie Monroe's Kentucky Pardners.
I'll see what I can dig up.>>

Cool. Thanks, Jim. Is there, by chance, a CD re-issue of the Cope Brothers
out there floating around somewhere? I have references to them using
Knoxville's WROL as a home base for broadcasting in the early 1950s (along
with the Osborne Brothers, Brewster Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, and
others), but really haven't been able to dig up much about the Copes.

(The Hills of Roane County, by the way, is another good East
Tennessee-themed song. I sense a Tennessee Saturday Night theme-set being
developed here...)

Take care,

Shane Rhyne
Knoxville, TN