Yeah, I bet Bare just sits out there by his pool, wondering where to fly
to for dinner that night, and regrets those background singers were on
those hit records.

It the music Business. He can play those songs as gritty as he wants to
1000 times, and does, but the only way to get those songs to cross over
to pop radio was to cut them pop. I bet it didn't hurt any of those
writers' feelings to get BMI checks for 50,000 instead of 5,000, too.

I don't understand this whole thing, I guess. If a person is a performer
in the Music Business, then the idea is to make records that as many
people as possible will like. As long as that doesn't involve a moral
issue or an aesthetically repugnant one, then this seems like a
non-problem to me. The fact that in retrospect those choruses seem corny
thirty years later doesn't mean they did then.

Gritty country records didn't sell. Pop records did. He wasn't making
records for purists, they were for people. Purists were playing high
school gyms for $150 a night and Glen Campbell had a network tv show.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records