This is an interesting thread and I will chime in on the Dwight
development to reiterate what I said last week in response to
Lightnin' Rod Terry's initial post about the production on that
album...

Somewhat along the lines of what Bill said of Dwight, or what David
said in more general terms, it's difficult for me to understand
things in terms of "over" or "under"-production; rather, it's
whatever works in the circumstances, for that particular version of a
song.

Plus, A Long Way Home is not produced in single manner all the way
through.  Pete A. has produced each song for an effect they're
looking for with *that* number.  Some, like "These Arms," have "big"
production, others (like the bluegrass-flavored "Lantern" <title?>)
are relatively minimal.  In any case, to my ears it's a successful
case of producing for the particular song and the effects one wants
on it.

Go Lightnin' Rod go <g>,
--junior