Since Terry's playing "lightning rod" today:

Terry A. Smith wrote:

> My last message ended sort of abruptly, so I forget wherethe hell I was
> going. I guess I'd just like to know whether you defenders of 60s
> pop-country, the Nashville Sound, or whatever it was called, have ever
> heard a song from that era -- or any era -- that was too heavily arranged
> with background singers, strings, etc? I'd really like to know. I've heard
> a lot of that stuff that sounds dandy, but also some that doesn't. To my
> short list of Bobby Bare, I'd add what one of Hank Thompson's later labels
> did to his best work.

It's just sort of tangentially related to this thread Terry, but last week you
were seemingly displeased by the "overproduction" on Dwight's A LONG WAY HOME
record. I was listening to it the other day, and it struck me how well done
("overproduced") the tune "These Arms" is. The song starts out a pretty
straight up shuffle, but transforms into a string-laded, soaring knockout.I'm
with you and many anound here, string-phobic to a degree and much preferring a
"stripped-down" approach. But when it's done right, (a value-loaded word to be
sure) like on "These Arms", well, string me up.

What'd you think of the tune?

b.s.

> -- terry smith, embattled again and enjoying it. Nobody argues much around
> here any more, and if I've got to  martyr myself to the greater good, then
> fine. With Matt Cook acting like a big fluffy teddy bear, someone's gotta
> step into the void! <g>

You go Terry. I was afraid somebody was gonna start mourning the health of the
list yesterday. <g>