Chad:
>> In close, it's my understanding that bluegrass musicians are very
>> particular about how "their" songs are played.

Jon:
>It depends, I guess.  "If it helps you, why, I'm for it 100%" is what Monroe
>said to Elvis when the latter apologized for reworking "Blue Moon Of
>Kentucky."  Of course, I don't know that he ever heard the Old 97's "My Blue
>Eyed Darling" <g>.

My impression is that Mr. Monroe didn't care  what you did with his song
OUTSIDE of bluegrass, long as he could get the bucks and everybody knew
where it came from...It was other real bluegrass guys' versions he found
harder and took longer to accept, right?

 (Jim Rooney's still provocative  and short cross-study of Bill Monroe and
Muddy Waters as band leaders and innocators, "Bossmen" is something good to
check out in the context of this thread BTW.)

Barry.