The J.D. version is alright, but for me the definative version has always
been the New Grass Revivals version off of their When the Storm is Over
(Flying Fish) record. I like this version much more than the hyperspeed
version found on the NGR Live release. Maybe it's the Courtney Johnson
thing, or the addition of Kenny Malone on drums and Sam Bush playing that
wicked slide guitar, but this song ROCKS.

Bobby Bare also did a very respectable version on his album As is that was
much more rock than country sounding.

Other than the Sovines version, and J.D.'s version, I've not heard anyone
else do it (sans Townes hisself..duh).

How is it that this song has suddenly become labeled as the Alt.Country
National Anthem? I play this song every chance I get. I slow it way down
and make it bluesy and I play it hard and fast, but the Alt Country
National Anthem? The JD version is only the third or forth version I have
heard since the original. Is it really played by that many people?

I always figured that Sing Me Back Home would be considered the ALt Country
National Anthem.

And who's version of WFB has influenced the most people? Whose version gets
copied the most? The Bare one? The NGR? The Sovines? And how can it be the
Anthem? Gram didn't sing it so it must suck <g>.

Jeff Wall
 http://www.twangzine.com The Webs least sucky music magazine
727 Alder Circle - Va Beach, Va - 23462 -(757) 467-3764