Louise said:

>I can never understand the popularity of Martina McBride. To me she is
>blandness personified. Maybe that's the answer.

I don't think Martina McBride is bland.  She always seems lively.  She has
done some bland songs, but blandness personified?  That would be, um, Mindy
McCready, I think.

Martina has done some good songs over the years.  Some that I like from her
1995 "Wild Angels" album are her versions of "Two More Bottles of Wine",
"Swingin' Doors" (not the Haggard song, though--the one that Molly & the
Heymakers recorded a few years ago) and "Cry On the Shoulder of the Road"
(Levon Helm contributed to this one--I saw him sing it with her on a TV
show--ugh, I think the G-man was her other guest).

I think many people here would like Martina's 1992 album, "The Time Has
Come" very much--full of steel, fiddle, some yodeling, some killer country
weepers, and in general very traditional sounds.  I really like "Cheap
Whiskey" even though it's got bombastic drums.  (I'm glad that I'm unable
to tell the GB is doing background vocals on this.)

Dina