Aside from the fact that I'm just not impressed by Martina McBride (which
doesn't rule out her having made good albums in the past - I'm just another
radio listener, and aside from "Independence Day," which I just can't see as
Single Of The Decade, I haven't heard any single that I've cared for), the
point is that her claim to being an honorable exception isn't any stronger
than a lot of other folks', which underlines that carving out these
exceptions is mostly a matter of taste.

As for the comment about Alison:

>The bits of slickness that crept
>into "So Long, So Wrong," the last album from
>Krauss and her band, Union Station, suggested she
>was in for a long, uncertain fight to continue playing
>her music the way she wanted.

the problem is that it implies that SLSW is, even in part, not the album
that AKUS wanted to make, a notion that is at odds with everything on the
public record (and everything I know that's not on the public record)
concerning her relationship with her label, not to mention the fact that
AKUS produced and arranged the album themselves and are responsible for any
and all "slickness" (apparently anything less than bellowing is
commercially-induced slickness to Mr. I Don't Listen To Country But That
Doesn't Stop Me From Writing About It).

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/